What is Rogaine?
Rogaine is the brand name of a drug used to treat hair loss. This drug contains the active ingredient known as minoxidil. Minoxidil was discovered as an antihypertensive drug used in the treatment of high blood pressure but was later demonstrated to have intrinsic activity of stimulating hair growth. This came as a side effect but has proved to be beneficial in slowing loss of hair and stimulating its regrowth. It also causes increased darkening of hair.
Normal amount of hair, its distribution, color and quality are important determinants of physical look and attractiveness. Hair loss is a distressing matter and nobody would want to have it. Rogaine is an excellent drug to address this disorder. Rogaine contains minoxidil as its active ingredient and it is one of the only two drugs approved by FDA for the treatment of hair loss. It needs to be taken twice daily for it to achieve maximum effects. You may not see the effects for the first four months but this should not discourage you. It is important to adhere to the medication and miss as less doses as possible if you are to see better results. Testimonials from those who have successfully used Rogaine before serve to indicate the efficacy of this drug.
How can Rogaine help?
Hair loss can occur in both men and women. It is important for you to know the source of your baldness. Hair loss can be hereditary or it can be caused by disease. Rogaine is not suitable in all forms of hair loss and so it is important to have an idea of the cause of your baldness. If you have the hereditary form of baldness (male pattern baldness), Rogaine is of help. On the other hand if you lose hair as a result of disease (alopecia) Rogaine cannot be of help. Before you consider going for Rogaine ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you 18 years old and above?
- What is the anatomic point and the amount of hair loss?
- Does anybody in your family have male pattern baldness?
If your answer to these questions is in the affirmative, then you may benefit from Rogaine. In addition only those at early stages of hair loss will have near perfect hair regrowth.
Benefits of Rogaine
Rogaine has been praised by over 80 percent of men and women who have used it. It comes in two forms, spray and foam. The foam is the original formula for Rogaine used topical daily for months. You can see effects within three months of continuous use. The spray on the other hand is a newer introduction and has one more benefit- it is portable and good for travelling. The benefits of both forms applied daily include;
- Thickening of hair thereby improving its distribution
- Regrowth of hair in the areas of recession and hair loss
- Darkens the hair improving its quality and strength
Side effects of Rogaine
If you are using Rogaine you may experience any of the following unwanted effects. If you notice any consult your doctor for advice and treatment.
- Allergic reactions characterized by chest tightness, coughing, rashes (hives) on the skin or swelling of tongue or face.
- You may experience itching, redness, dryness and scaling on the scalp. Do not discontinue the use of Rogaine unless these side effects are out of proportion.
- If you feel your heart beating rapidly and irregularly, it is dangerous and you need to see a doctor immediately.
- Chest pain is another dangerous documented side effect of Rogaine. Beware because it may indicate heart damage.
It is very important to consult your doctor, if you are considering to use Rogaine to regrow hair. Your doctor can tell you better, if use of Rogaine for hair loss is suitable for you.
For more info follow this link – Dr Morris Ritz